ISO 9001:2008 Certification: What it Means to You
The establishment of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is based on the need to facilitate international trade by promoting development of universal standards. Having been in place for over a decade now, the ISO 9001:2008 Certification is a universal method used by both customers and companies to control the quality of output.
It is a framework of business management ensuring continued improvements in all aspects of the business. The external assessment on a regular basis ensures maintenance of these business practices.
Reasons why companies seek ISO Certification:
- To implement controls on quality over commodities and attain consistency.
- To enhance more effective and efficient planning processes through consistency.
- To eliminate the costs of added service associated with low quality products.
- To improve on production efficiency.
- To boost relations with the public and regulatory agencies.
- To satisfy the customers who require all their vendors to be ISO 9001 certified.
What does ISO Certification Signify?
The official meaning of ISO 9001 Certification is that the ISO 9001 Quality Management System (QMS) has been closely audited by a Certification Body (often called a Registrar)-accredited by ANAB (ANSI ASQ National Accreditation Board)-and found to meet all ISO 9001:2008 QMS Standard requirements.
This means that the organization is committed to:
- Total management of quality
- Customer focus implementation of a continued improvement process approach
- All the facets of the ISO 9001 QMS
It also shows a company’s understanding and documentation of critical processes and their interactions. The verification of all these QMS facets are done by a third party (independent) who has knowledge and understanding of ISO 9001 QMS and the industry in which that organization operates.
How These Values Benefit the End Customer
There are many benefits that arise from ISO 9001:2008 Certification both to the customer and the organization. Mountz, Inc (the parent company of the Mr. Metric brand) is ISO 9001 certified under a scope that includes fastener modification and sales. Mountz is proud to have achieved this prestigious certification, as it showcases not only our dedication to our craft but also to our customers. Click here to view this certificate to learn more about the scope this quality management system includes for Mountz Inc. and Mr. Metric. The main benefits that the customer will experience include:
- An organization becomes more customer-centric: This ensures that any decision the management makes is in line with customer needs.
- The efficiency and effectiveness of the organization is improved: This is due to the continued improvement in systems and quality of commodities.
- There is a sustained customer satisfaction program: This is because the organization delivers commodities that meet the needs and expectations of the customer.
The ISO 9001:2015 is currently under revision at the Draft International Stage (DIS). It is set to be published at a date in September that is yet to be determined. However, Lorri Hunt, a U.S. task group monitor and also a technical expert taking part in the revision, says that there has not been any change in requirements but rather the terminology used. The two most noteworthy enhancements to the 2015 version are:
The organization of the Standard will change from 8 Clauses to 10 Clauses
Risk Management will be a major addition to the planned revision
We at Mr. Metric are closely following the progress made with the latest certificate and strive to achieve this recognition as our ideology and values align closely with those represented under the certificate.